And press reports quoted a US State Department spokesman as saying, Tuesday: "The United States realizes that Turkey has decided to search in the disputed waters in the eastern Mediterranean."
The spokesman continued: "We urge the Turkish authorities to stop any plans for operations, and to avoid steps that increase tensions in the region."
The American warning is in line with the statements of German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, who called on Turkey to stop drilling for natural resources in the eastern Mediterranean waters "if it wants to make progress in its relations with the European Union."
The German minister said during a visit to Athens, Tuesday: "With regard to the drilling of Turkey in the eastern Mediterranean, we have a very clear position, international law must be respected, so progress in relations between the European Union and Turkey will be possible only if Ankara stops provocations in the eastern Mediterranean. ".
And last week, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said that Turkey would start seismic research and drilling in the disputed waters, which are covered by an agreement between Ankara and the Libyan government of Accord.
Ankara has already sent a drilling ship to the region, for explorations from July 21 to August 2, and Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis responded to this development, saying that Turkey "threatens to violate the sovereignty of Greece and Europe."
"Greece is ready to defend its sovereign rights if need be" Greek Defense Minister Nikos Panagiotopoulos told his US counterpart Mark Esper in a phone conversation on Tuesday afternoon.