Double attack on European Union military convoy, US military base in Somalia

Two separate attacks on a US military base in the Somali town of Baladogli and an Italian convoy in the capital Mogadishu on Monday, a security source said, while al Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab claimed responsibility.

The Italian Defense Ministry said in a statement that an explosion hit an Italian military convoy, adding that there were no reports of casualties so far.

A security source told Reuters that a bomb attack also occurred on Monday morning on a base run by US special forces followed by small arms fire. US forces are training Somali special forces at Baladogli base, which is also used to carry out many of the drones' operations.

Somali police said two car bombs targeted the base where Somali special forces, US special forces and Ugandan peacekeepers are based.

The al Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab militant group claimed responsibility for the attack.

A.H
ANHA


Other news