During the past week, Arab newspapers covered the Israeli bombing of sites in Syria, in addition to the Lebanese situation, and the Egyptian-Turkish conflict.
Al-Sharq al-Awset: Israel bombs southern and eastern Syria
The Arab newspapers published during the past week dealt with several topics regarding the Syrian issue, the most prominent of which was the Israeli raids on sites in Syria. In this context, Al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper said: “Yesterday, planes believed to be Israeli launched raids on“ Iranian sites ”in northeastern Syria after hours of the Tel Aviv announcement, bombing a cell in the Golan, southern Syria. "
The Israeli army had announced that it had targeted “a group of 4 armed men who were planting explosive devices on a security fence at the disengagement line in the Golan,” and held the Syrian army responsible for this operation and every action launched from Syria. There is no direct link between Hezbollah intentions to launch an operation against Israel, but we do not rule it out. ”
But Israeli sources confirmed that “this cell is definitely affiliated with the Lebanese (Hezbollah), which is trying to turn the Golan Heights into a war front with Israel, and the army refuses to refer to the party, perhaps it understands the message and stops its intention to carry out an operation against us in revenge for the killing of one of its members in an Israeli raid on Damascus.
The "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" reported that "unidentified warplanes" bombed "sites of the Iranian forces and loyal militias, in Abu Kamal in Deir ez-Zor countryside," noting that it was not the first time that this base had been targeted.
Al-Arab: The Beirut Explosion: Years of neglect or years of Hizballah Control
On the Lebanese issue, Al-Arab newspaper said: “The Lebanese capital is in a state of anger against those directly responsible for the massive explosion that occurred on Tuesday, as well as the political class as a whole, amid accusations that Hezbollah has invested in chaos, neglect, bureaucracy and corruption to focus its influence and facilitate the smuggling of weapons, equipment and people into the country.
Officials ’pledges to transparent investigations and accountability for those involved in the bombing were met with widespread ridicule in the Lebanese street, while activists considered that placing the direct officials in the port under house arrest and accountability promises aimed to absorb popular anger, and that it would soon be forgotten.
Initial investigations indicate that negligence and laxity in storing a high-explosive substance in the Beirut port is the cause of the explosion, which killed more than 107 people, which angered the Lebanese, who circulate on social media the hashtag “Hang the noose”, demanding accountability for all those responsible.
Various sources revealed that the materials in the warehouse were confiscated years ago from a ship in the port of Beirut that had a malfunction, and placed in "ward No. 12 in the port", and that it was not "followed up as required."
And local OTV television quoted Hassan Qiraitim, director general of Beirut Port, as saying that the port stored six years ago under a court order, high explosive materials believed to be the cause of the powerful explosion that rocked the Lebanese capital.
The channel quoted Qiraitim as telling her that Customs and State Security had asked the authorities to export or remove these materials, but “nothing happened.”
A port employee said that a team examined the explosive materials six months ago and warned that they would “blow up Beirut” if they were not transported from the port. .
Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab announced that 2750 tons of ammonium nitrate had been stored for six years in a "dangerous" warehouse.
Ammonium nitrate was the source of many tragedies, accidental or criminal, in the world, including a factory explosion in the French city of Toulouse in 2001, which killed 30 people.
Al-Bayan: European activities call for an end to Turkish persistence
Regarding the European-Turkish dispute, Al-Bayan newspaper said: “European diplomats have confirmed that recent statements by Turkish officials, the latest of which are the statements of Defense Minister Hulusi Akar, reflect great internal suffering besieging the Turkish regime, from which the officials are trying to escape by creating foreign battles, assuring to“ Al-Bayan ”that Akar's statements stresses that Turkey has been practicing during the past two years in particular "emotional diplomacy that calls for a decisive stance on the part of the international community to put an end to this increasing diplomatic and political absurdity, which will only add more tension to the Eastern Mediterranean and the Middle East, threatening the interests of the allies in the region and in Europe."
Al-Arab: Egypt and Greece block Turkey in the eastern Mediterranean
Al-Arab newspaper talked about Egypt and Greece closing the doors to Turkey in the Middle East and said: “Egypt and Greece closed all legitimate doors to Turkey, after they signed a historic agreement to demarcate the maritime borders in Cairo, on Thursday, in the presence of the foreign ministers of the two countries, which closes a group of gaps.
Ankara has sought to invest it to strengthen its relations with Fayez al-Sarraj, head of the Government of National Accord in Libya. The agreement scatters many of the cards that Turkey sought to forcibly seize in the eastern Mediterranean, believing that the understanding between Cairo and Athens is difficult, and it will take a long time for it to be able to entrench its ships in some gray economic areas, which Turkey has played and tried to use to achieve its gains.
The Greek Foreign Minister, Nikos Dendias, confirmed that the agreement signed between the head of the reconciliation government in Tripoli, Fayez al-Sarraj, and Turkey is “illegal and violates international law,” and his country faces all challenges in the region in cooperation with Egypt, pointing out that his country's agreements “respect the principles and foundations of international law.”
Dendias' words carried precise and clear meanings about the illegality of the Turkish actions in the eastern Mediterranean, and the consequent agreements that do not respect international law, and could cause more tensions in the region.
In a joint press conference with the Egyptian Foreign Minister, Sameh Shoukry, the Greek Foreign Minister said that there is continuous cooperation between the two countries at the highest levels, and that the coming period will witness a translation of this communication in various issues.
Soon the Turkish Foreign Ministry rejected the agreement, saying that the "demarcation of the maritime borders" signed between Cairo and Athens is invalid for Ankara.
( A )