Şengal is one of the Yazidi areas that have been subjected to continuous massacres. The Yezidis were rejected at the political and religious levels as well, and 73 genocides were imposed on them. Before Şengal's resistance to liberation from ISIS, no one was talking about him. A new page has been opened for Şengal with the liberation and the invitation extended by Leader Ocalan for it. Şengal is now the result of eight years of struggle, and is now known as the former Şengal and the current Şengal. It has moved from denial to self-management. However, despite the great resistance, the world today is turning a blind eye to the current threat to the Turkish state and the KDP. This is at a time when the people of Şengal are determined not to remain as before.
After the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime, the leader Ocalan saw the new threats and dangers facing the Yazidi community firsthand, and gave important warnings in order to build a safe zone. Leader Ocalan wanted a free and safe area to be built for the people and beliefs of the region in the central region of Iraq, from the Bradost regions to Şengal. This is because the leader Ocalan was well aware that the authoritarian forces would exploit this void to target the ancient beliefs in the Middle East, especially the Yazidi community.
Despite the declaration of federalism in Başûr Kurdistan and the change of Iraqi politics, regions such as Kirkuk, Khanaqin, and Mandali belonging to Şengal were not included in the lands of Başûr Kurdistan, as their rights in the region were not accepted. According to Article 140 of the Iraqi constitution, which was approved in 2007, Şengal's fate should have been decided by a referendum. But it was never held. The Iraqi government and Nuri al-Maliki did not implement this constitutional article.
The leader Ocalan called the Kurdistan Freedom Movement to move for Şengal because of this threat, and said: "I have been warning for years. The identity of our Yazidi people is under threat. I say start moving."
Leader Ocalan's prediction came true. In the attack that was carried out in Tel Azer and Seba Sheikh Khidr on August 14, 2007, about 600 Yazidis were martyred with four car bombs, and more than that were wounded. These two roads were under the control of the Kurdistan Democratic Party. This massacre is one of the first signs of Farman 2014.
* On June 1, 2014, a secret meeting was held in Amman that brought together the United States of America, Saudi Arabia, the Turkish state, Israel and the Kurdistan Democratic Party. As a result of this meeting, space was opened for ISIS in Iraq, Başûr Kurdistan, Syria and Rojava.
* In the context of this meeting and the decisions taken, ISIS attacked Mosul on the tenth of June. The Iraqi army and forces affiliated with the Kurdistan Democratic Party were stationed in Mosul at the time. Mosul was one of the most powerful Iraqi cities militarily. But it was handed over to ISIS within six hours and without any resistance.
* After Mosul, ISIS headed to Şengal and began on August 3, 2014, committing massacres south of Mount Şengal. Thousands of peshmerga withdrew from Şengal without a fight on the orders of the KDP.
* At 03:30 on August 3, 2014; Daesh attacked the villages of Gharzarak, Siba Sheikh Khider with a dushka and the villages of Tal Al Banat, Tal Qasab and Kuja at exactly 04:00 on the same day. A part of the village of Gharzarak fell into the hands of ISIS, and the people were displaced from the two villages.
* Based on the warning and invitation of Ocalan; The PKK made another historic decision. On August 5, the the leader of the General Command of the People's Defense Center, Murad Karayilan, announced to the whole world that they would intervene in the situation in Şengal.
* Before the genocide, 12 fighters from guerrillas, the Kurdistan Workers’ Party, went to Mount Şengal to train and organize the Yazidi community and form the defense forces, and among them was the great leader of Şengal Delshir Herkul. But the KDP then sought to stop the guerrillas. So these guerrillas went to Mount Şengal secretly and without weapons. The KDP arrested three fighters from this group and imprisoned them.
* On the other hand, the revolutionary forces in Rojava took action to defend Şengal. The People's Protection Units (YPG) and the Women's Protection Units (YPJ) broke the ISIS belt in Tall Koçer and Jaza'a through head-to-head combat and managed to reach Mount Şengal. They covered about 100 km in a day and put Mount Şengal under their protection.
* Simultaneously with that, the People's Protection Units and the Women's Protection Units opened a humanitarian corridor between Rojava and Şengal in response to the Yazidis' calls for help from Rojava, and the Yazidis were transferred from there to safe areas.
* On January 14, 2015, the People's Assembly was announced in Şengal.
* On January 29, 2015, the Şengal Resistance Units (YBŞ), Women's Protection Units-Şengal (YPJ-Şengal) and Şengal Protection Forces (HPŞ) issued a joint statement to the media announcing the formation of a joint command under the name "Yezdikhan Liberation Command of Şengal". The Kurdistan Workers' Party, the Kurdistan Democratic Party and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan were invited to join this leadership.
* The Şengal resistance forces took their first step on October 8, 2015 in Shalo Valley
* On October 31, 2015, the campaign to liberate the villages of West Şengal was launched.
* On November 13, 2015, it was announced to the whole world that the Şengal center had been liberated. The campaign to liberate Şengal did not stop here. Rather, the third phase of it began with the liberation of the villages surrounding Şengal.
* On November 13, the Şengal Center was liberated.
From the leader Ocalan to the people of Şengal: Let them build their free life
Leader Ocalan sent this message to the people of Şengal regarding the liberation of Şengal: "I also love our people of Şengal very much. We can talk about two events regarding the liberation of Şengal; the first is Darwish avde, and the second is the struggle of our comrades. And genocide is in all these areas and we have avenged the Yazidi people. That's why we are happy. I send my unlimited greetings to the people of Şengal. They should not worry anymore and establish their free life."
ISIS practiced a great injustice against the people of Şengal. It targeted women in particular, killed, kidnapped and sold thousands of them. The fate of 1,190 Yazidi women is still unknown.
According to information issued by the Yazidi associations, ISIS mercenaries kidnapped 6,417 Yazidis; among them, 3,548 women and 2,869 men. The operations resulted in the liberation of 3737 Yazidis, including 1201 women.
* Water and food were sent to the people who were stuck in the Şengal Mountains as they faced death with starvation and thirst, and a large part of them were evacuated. Some of them migrated to Rojava, some to Dohuk and Hewler, and a limited number of Yazidis migrated to Shirnex, Ilah and Mirdin.
* According to the official statistics of the government of Başûr Kurdistan, about 290,000 Yazidis were forced to flee from Şengal. Of them, 50,000 have taken refuge in the mountains of Şengal in desperation, without hope.
* Taking into account the people who were unable to escape from the grip of ISIS in the mountains and roads, more than 3,000 Yazidis were killed, including at least 300 children, and young women were kidnapped during the war and taken to the city of Baja.
* So far, 68 mass graves have been found in the various regions of Şengal. It is estimated that the largest mass grave found contained the remains of about 200 people. Searches for other graves continue. Most of the graves are found in Koja, Solach, Hrdan, Ramossi and Kapusi.
After the liberation of Şengal; Organizational and institutional work began in it. With the announcement of the Autonomous Administration, the people of Şengal began to manage themselves on their own. Troops were also formed for continued protection.
* In 2016 the Şengal Women's Units (YJŞ) were formed, and Yazidi women began to engage in the fields of defense and organization for the first woman in history. In this way, the Şengal Resistance Units and the Şengal Women's Units resisted ISIS for eleven months.
* In 2016 the Yazidi Women's Freedom Movement (TAJÊ) was formed. This movement is considered an umbrella for the Yazidi women, as it led its organization in various fields, from defense to training and the economy.
*In 2017, the Council of Democratic Autonomous Administration of Şengal was announced. The Council includes 12 committees: 1- Culture, Art and Media 2- Security 3- Services 4- Legislation 5- Education 6- Human Rights and the Foundation for Martyrs’ Families 7- Belief, Religion and Peace 8- Economy 9- Youth and Sports 10 Health 11- Organization of the community 12- Secretariat of the Council.
The frequency of attacks on Şengal did not decrease after its liberation. With the defeat of ISIS, both the KDP and the Turkish state sought to prevent the formation of the Autonomous Administration of Şengal and build a free life in it. The Kurdistan Democratic Party, which left the people of Şengal to face massacres, began to threaten and attack Şengal after its liberation and made dirty plans with the Turkish state.
* In order to return to Şengal, the KDP issued many statements, and made many calls to the HPG Guerrillas and the Free Women's Units - Star to get out of Şengal. It was not satisfied with this, but in 2017, it launched an attack on the forces of the Kurdistan Liberation Movement in Khansur.
* The first comprehensive attempt was made on March 3, 2017, against Khansur. The KDP sought to occupy Khansur through Roj mercenaries. This attack resulted in the death of 12 people, including journalist Nogyan Arhan. But the resistance of the people of Khansur thwarted this attack and the KDP failed.
* After the failure of this attempt to resist the people, the Turkish state began its attacks this time. Şengal was attacked by warplanes for the first time on April 25, 2017, and bombed many areas. This was a new stage in the attacks on Şengal.
* The PKK guerrilla played a prominent role in defending Şengal during the firman until 2018, as well as in establishing the system of democratic self-administration. The main goal of Guerilla of the Kurdistan Liberation Movement was that the people of Şengal would be able to reach their core defensive and administrative power. On this basis, they officially withdrew from Şengal on April 1, 2018. The Şengal Resistance Units, the Şengal Women's Units, as well as the Asayish Ezidikhan took over the task of defending Şengal in all respects, and they are still undertaking this mission to this day.
* The last episode of attacks carried out against the Autonomous Administration of Şengal is the agreement signed on October 9, 2020 between the governments of Southern Kurdistan and Mustafa Al-Kazemi. Regardless of the signing of this agreement between Erbil and Baghdad, the Turkish state and international powers, led by America, are behind it.
Şengal, who ignored what everyone is being exposed to and made plans to occupy all these plans, thwarted the resistance of the fighters of the People's Protection Units, the Women's Protection Units, the Şengal Women's Units, the Şengal Protection Units, and the Free Women's Unit - Star. In order to implement the previous plans and take revenge, the Turkish state in Şengal is carrying out what it is doing in northern and eastern Syria of targeting the leaders who defeated ISIS in the region. It targets Yazidi community leaders and leaders who fought ISIS with drones. Hospitals and Şengal Autonomous Administration Institutions are among the sites they target.
The outcome of the Turkish state's attacks on Şengal
* On August 26, 2020, they targeted a civilian car in Khansur, affiliated to Shengal. As a result, two civilians were killed.
* On August 17, 2021, the Turkish warplanes launched an air raid on the Sekene hospital in Şengal, killing eight people and wounding four others.
* On August 16, 2021; A point belonging to the command of the Şengal Resistance Units in the center of Şengal was attacked by Turkish drones, which resulted in the martyrdom of the leader of the Şengal Resistance Units, Saeed Hassan, his nephew and the fighter in the ranks of the units, Issa Khodida. and wounding three civilians: Qassem Smou, Shamir Abbas and Mirza Ali.
* On November 8, 2021; Turkish drones bombed the village of Bara in Sinnunah district in Şengal, resulting in the death of a citizen.
* On June 15, 2022, the Turkish occupying state launched a drone attack on the People’s Assembly in Sinuna, which belongs to Şengal, targeting civilians, which resulted in the death of the 11-year-old child, Saleh Nasu, and the injury of seven citizens, including a journalist.
*On July 17, 2022; A Turkish drone targeted a car in the Tigris village of Tal Afar district in Mosul, killing five people.
Şengal is still in danger. These attacks will continue until international powers formally prohibit them and recognize the region's political entity. However, it is no longer possible to occupy Şengal and restore it as before.