The United Nations Deputy Secretary-General for Political Affairs, Rosemary de Carlo, said during an emergency session of the UN Security Council on Friday at the request of Germany, Belgium and Kuwait to discuss the tension in Idlib, that the military escalation in northwestern Syria displaced more than 120 thousand people.
The UN official stressed that the existence of "Hayet Tahrir al-Sham Organization" in Idlib does not justify endangering the lives of 3 million people.
De Carlo called for "unity" in order to ensure a reduction in the escalation in the region and push forward the political process to resolve the Syrian crisis.
UN Deputy Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, Mark Lokoc, reported that at least 160 people have been killed in the region in the past three weeks.
Lokoc said any large-scale military attack on Idlib would go beyond the World Organization's humanitarian assistance to the local population, pointing out that humanitarian agencies were unable so far to assist the displaced in the north of Syria.
The UN official also expressed his deep concern about the continuation of what he described as air strikes on the region, without holding anyone responsible, stressing that 49 medical facilities in the region had been suspended because of the increasing attacks.